I used to live in Brooklyn and run free among hipsters. Now I live in a factory city in Korea. I still dig me some fresh tunes.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Ten From Epic Soundtracks

Similar to the Felt collection I made earlier in the year here are 10 songs from singer/songwriter Epic Soundtracks. I got the idea to do this while listening to Wild Smile, the 2012 anthology by Soundtracks. This isn't really meant as a complaint, because any effort to bring more attention to an artist like Soundtracks is gravvy, but Greatest Hit type of releases of this nature are tricky. On one hand you have a nice (albeit lengthy) introduction for the uninitiated on Disc 1. But will said uninitiated ever be interested in the Disc 2 full of live versions and rarities? And for the rabid fan who'd like to get a hold of an A Capella version of "Don't Go to School," of what use are the 20 "hits" on Disc 1? Who pays $21.99 for it?

So I set out to create a collection for those less familiar with his work. I pushed myself to distill his catalogue down to 10 tunes. Truth be told, I think Soundtracks wrote 4 or 5 truly wonderful songs, and then quite a few more that are very nice. On occasion, I think he was able to get by simply because he was cool and probably had a great record collection. I would never put him in the class of some of the greats I think he tried to emulate -- Parsons, Dylan, Chilton and Lennon. I actually think he's a little like Evan Dando, who comes from similar origins and was a big Soundtracks fan and supporter. I'm sure that comparison would make a lot of Soundtracks fans sick, but Dando too has written a handful of truly great songs.

My own introduction to Soundtracks -- post Swell Maps, who I always wanted to like more than I actually did -- wasn't until 1999 with the release of Everything is Temporary, a posthumous collection of mostly outtakes and demos that was co-licensed (or something) by the record store I was working for at the time. By virtue of that it was played at least once a day for several months. Yeah, I know I just said demos don't make a good introduction, but "Everything" flows a little differently than a typical collection of demos. It sounds more like a stripped down album in my opinion, which is ironic because one of his strong suits on his proper albums was the production -- again, I'm sure the guy was above all else a music fan if not a collector.

Over the years I've wound my way through his albums, typically recognizing 2 or 3 songs from "Everything," and usually finding improved, fully realized versions on the full lengths. "There's Been a Change," "Emily May" and "Fallen Down" were such cases and all three are on this collection. A couple songs "Something New Under the Sun," which is really the first Soundtracks song that caught my ear, and "Night Time," are both presented in their stripped down "Everything" versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment